Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Lava Cake


I can't help myself sometimes- whenever my sister is over my house, I feel obligated to make her something (unfortunately, she doesn't feel the same obligations).

That something  usually manifests into my go-to quick dessert, Lava Cake.

Lava Cake is one of those desserts that people are hesitant about trying for whatever reason, but once they do, they realize how easy it really is.

My recipe for Lava Cake is pretty straight forward, and will make 5-7 Lava Cakes, depending on the size of your ramekins:


Lava Cake:

2 eggs
2 egg yolks
5 tbs. butter
3 tbs. sugar
4 oz dark chocolate (And no, you can't use milk or white. Trust me)
3 tbs. flour
4 tsp. cocoa powder
pinch of salt
vanilla to taste

Directions:


Preheat your oven to 425. Hot, I know. Don't get scared. 


1. Melt your chocolate and butter in a double boiler.


2. Mix your eggs/yolks together with your sugar (use a handheld mixer). Once that is thoroughly mixed, add your melted chocolate/butter mixture. To this, add vanilla. If you're not a vanilla fan, its OK. Its not a necessity.  I am a vanilla fanatic, so I usually as about two tsp or more, depending on how I'm feeling that day. 


3. In a separate bowl, blend together the flour, cocoa, and salt. Make sure the flour and cocoa has no lumps in it. If it does, give it a quick sifting. 


4. Add the dry ingredients slowly into the melted chocolate mixture. I've read that some people tell you not to mix it with a mixer, but I've noticed that if I use the lowest setting I have absolutely no ill effects except perfectly mixed lava cake batter.


5. Take a little piece of cold butter and slather the insides of your ramekins with it. Its really important that the Lava Cake doesn't stick to the sides, or it will fall apart when you're going to try to take it out.


6. Bake for about 8-15 min. This is, hands down, the most difficult part of making Lava Cake. Remember, your goal is that the outside is cooked, while the inside is not, resulting in that "lava" that we are all craving. Usually, I start paying attention after they have been in the oven around 9 min. Once I see that the top is cooked, I see if a toothpick inserted into the very edge comes out clean. If it does, that means the sides are cooked and ready. If the toothpick comes out chocolaty  then I pop them back in, usually for one minute intervals. Remember: baking times might vary on your oven, so pay attention! 


7. And...you're done! Feel free to invert them on a plate and garnish, or just eat them straight out of the ramekins. We usually eat ours with vanilla ice cream and milk. 



Now, if you've over-baked your Lava Cakes, don't despair- you just made really tasty chocolate cake. Next time, just bake them a tiny bit less.


Also, remember that since the ramekins and cakes themselves are very hot, they will continue to cook even after you take them out of the oven. So, devour immediately!



Happy Baking!


-Oksana

No comments:

Post a Comment